Today marks a year since my grandfather passed. I went to see him last year to say my goodbyes and to accept the fact that he would be leaving us at any time. My grandfather was the greatest man I have ever come across and no man that I’ll meet will ever amount to his greatness. He was my father figure. I would often daydream of travelling back to Somalia to introduce him to my future husband. I imagined that he would have a conversation with my grandfather and realize that if he ever did me wrong, my grandfather would be there to set him straight. My grandfather was my hero.
Grandfather if you are listening I want to tell you:
– that I carry you in my heart wherever I go
– I pray for you more than I pray for myself. I hope you are admitted into Allah’s paradise. I pray that your grave is illuminated and I pray that I’ll see you in Jannah
– I have taken your advice and have been good to my mother. At times its hard, but I want you to know that I’m trying my best
– I hope that when I see you again, you and I can read your poems together and drink tea
– I hope that when Munkar and Nakeer question you in the grave, the Quran will be there with you.
– I hope that we haven’t disappointed you – I hope I haven’t disappointed you.
Here’s a dua for you grandfather:
O Allaah, my grandfather is under Your care and protection so protect him from the trial of the grave and torment of the Fire. Indeed You are faithful and truthful. Forgive and have mercy upon him, surely You are The Oft-Forgiving, The Most-Merciful
‘O Allaah, forgive and have mercy upon him, excuse him and pardon him, and make honorable his reception. Expand his entry, and cleanse him with water, snow, and ice, and purify him of sin as a white robe is purified of filth. Exchange his home for a better home, and his family for a better family, and his spouse for a better spouse. Admit him into the Garden, protect him from the punishment of the grave and the torment of the Fire.’
I miss you very much! My hero, Allahu naxiisto!
Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji’un (انّا للہ و انّا الیه راجعون)
Truly, to Allah we belong and truly to Him we shall return